Gum disease, also known as periodontal disease, is a common and potentially serious oral health issue. Understanding what gum disease is, how to prevent it, and the role of mouthwash in its management is essential for maintaining a healthy smile. In this blog post, we’ll explore different types of gum disease, prevention strategies, and the effectiveness of mouthwash, specifically Dentyl, in addressing gum disease.
What Is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is a condition that affects the supporting structures of your teeth, primarily the gums and bone. Generally, there are two types of gum disease, discerned by their severity.
This is the mildest form of gum disease, characterised by gum inflammation, redness, and bleeding when you brush or floss.
If gingivitis is left untreated, it can progress to periodontitis, where the infection spreads deeper into the supporting tissues, potentially leading to tooth loss.
How to Prevent Gum Disease
Preventing gum disease is a key goal of good oral health. The best way to prevent gum disease is to get into a good oral healthcare routine.
- Regular Oral Care: Brush your teeth at least twice a day, floss daily, and use an antimicrobial mouthwash to control bacteria.
- Routine Dental Check-Ups: Regular dental visits allow your dentist to detect and treat gum disease in its early stages.
- Healthy Diet: Consume a balanced diet rich in fruits and vegetables, and limit sugary and acidic foods and drinks.
- Avoid Smoking: Smoking is a significant risk factor for gum disease, so quitting is essential for good oral health.
Does Mouthwash Help Prevent Gum Disease?
Mouthwash, when used as part of a comprehensive oral care routine, can contribute to gum disease prevention and management. However, not all mouthwashes are equally effective. Dentyl mouthwashes stand out for several reasons:
- Removes up to 99.9% of bacteria: Dentyl mouthwash contains powerful antimicrobial agent known as Cetylpyridinium Chloride (CPC), which binds with the membrane of the bacteria, enhance their bonding with oil droplets of Dentyl mouthwash when shaken. This allows the Dentyl to remove the bacteria, both quickly and effectively.
- Effective Plaque Removal: Dentyl mouthwash contains unique two phase formula. It consists of an oil phase and a water phase. When shaken, the two liquids combine to form special mixture which physically lifts and removes plaque and bacteria from the mouth, that you can see instantly when you rinse.
- Gentle on Gums: Its alcohol-free formula is gentle on sensitive gums, making it suitable for use even when the gums are inflamed.
Gum disease is a common oral health issue that can have serious consequences if left untreated. Taking steps to protect your oral health, such as using Dentyl mouthwash as part of your oral care routine, can help you maintain healthy gums and a beautiful smile.
(2) NHS: Gum Disease